1. Shoot whatever you like, but experiment with spot metering and evaluative/matrix metering.
Spot metering is best for:
– Backlit subjects when you want to see detail on subject
- When subject is against dark or light background
– When you can lock exposure on something in the scene that is neutral grey, then re-compose
2. Experiment with manual exposure
3. In addition, practice working with hyperfocal distance. Here’s a link to an article with more information abut it and a chart for quick calculations – http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/camera_skills/mastering-hyperfocal-distance-56978. If you want to download an app checkout dofmaster.com, Photo Pills or Photo Tools.
Bring to 10-12 pictures to class on a flash drive.
Here’s a link to some useful apps and websites Apps and Websites
Finally, here’s a short video that illustrates how our preconceptions can affect the images we make.
– Practice switching between One Shot and Continuous modes.
– Practice switching focus points and moving your focus point
– Experiment with wide angle and telephoto shots. Try a wide angle with a major foreground element. See if you can produce examples of expansion and compression.
Google “Back Button Focusing” for your camera and try it for a few days..
Check out this example of using compression for effect from the film Tinker tailor Soldier Spy:
Dramatic Filmmaking with a 2000mm Lens from Vashi Nedomansky on Vimeo.
Create a series of abstract images (you decide how to define “abstract”) using the elements of design as a way to organize your image. Experiment with lines, focal point, textures, etc. Some subjects to try might include peeling paint on an old building, pebbles, close-up of a cabbage or other fruit/vegetable, a pile of leaves or grass. Try panning, super slow shutter speed, shallow depth of field. Just have fun shooting strange things.
Create still lifes. Try some high key and low key images. Think about composition, elements of design, etc. Work with your light source and software to achieve the desired result.
# # #